Re: Auto X tire tech question

----- Original Message -----
From: Randy B <scirokn81@email.msn.com>
To: <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 1:39 PM
Subject: Auto X tire tech question

> 1. How should I break them in on the car,
>     or should I just start racing with them?

Are these used or new?  I didnt think their were any
R1's left in the country.  Are they R1's or G-force?
As far as breaking them in they should be heat cycled.
Did you get them from TireRack?  Were they heat cycled
there or no?

Goto www.tirerack.com and look for this page:
Care & Feeding of the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A R1
There should be alot of info there.  You should
definately heat cycle them yourself if they have not been
heat cycled already.

> 2. How many events have other Auto X's been getting
>     out of these?

With my 215-50 R13 BFG R1's I got over 350 runs.  The neon
guys get as few as 75 runs before their BFG's are dead.  It all matters
on how hard you drive and what surface you are on.

> 3. What initial tire pressure would be good to start with?

Check the BFG page for that.  I've never run that size - I have no clue.
I would run higher in the rear than in the front to help the rear
end come around.  I would start in the mid 30's if I was you and
adjust from there.  I ran 30 front 34 rear with mine.

> 4. What front camber and toe should be used with these if
>     I also plan on running with the Dunlop's on the street?

For a combination vehicle I would run no toe(Toe kills tires not camber)
and 2.5 degrees negative camber using crash bolts.  If you don't mind
killing your street tires toe out 1/16 and go from there up to 1/8 if
you are really crazy.

> 5. Any other pertinent info would be greatly appreciated.

Break in - Late apex - Power out - Be early in slaloms - Look ahead -
try not to smile too big because it makes you squint.  The grip of R
tires is immense to a first timer.  Try and figure out where the breaking
point of your tires is.  I ran for a few months before I said screw it - I
want to make this thing spin to find out where it would break loose -
It was almost scary how hard I had to push to get to that point - If I
had never tried I would have never known the full potential of the tires.

Good luck Randy and have fun,

> Randy B.
> Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - soon to be 2.0L 16V
> Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc

Joe Oliveira                        ______________
83 FSP Rabbit GTI            [__\==(\x/)==/__]
97 STR  Jetta GLX VR6   {OO==(\x/)==OO}
ilium@bit-net.com
Visit our website at:
http://www.FlyingToasterRacing.com