Re: AutoX questions...

http://www.scca.org
http://www.scca.com

> Is it an all out race or spot time competition?

Autoxing (Solo II) is basically like a time trial.  It's just you.  Out
there trying to beat your time and of course others in the class.

> What kind of speeds are we talking about and where do these competitions
> take place?

Generally, the courses are designed so cars don't exceed 70 mph.  That
little guideline isn't always followed.  :-)  It's followed kinda
strictly in my region (Utah), but I've been to a couple Vegas events for
the winter and there courses are spread out quite a bit more (Las Vegas
Speedway Events).  The first event I went to down there had really
spread out slalom.  I hit the top of second thru the slalom, which is in
the neighborhood of 65-70.  If I was hitting 70 in my little VW, there
HAD to be cars exceeding 80 or so.  I hear from Shawn Meze guy that the
San Diego events are spread are pretty good too.

Where do you live?  When you go to scca.org, select Solo II from the
drop down menu where it says 'solo'.  The next site has a 'regions'
link.  Each region has a website with details such as schedule, results,
etc.  You can look at the results page to see what your competition will
be.

Courses are set up in large parking lots.  Cones are set up to form the
course.  At first, you see a sea of cones.  Walking the course is
recommended before trying to drive it.  :-)  There is plenty time before
the event starts to register, get teched and walk the course providing
you get there at a decent time.  I try to get there no later than 15
minutes after registration starts.

> How important is the suspension setup?  I got the budget Bilstein set-up,
> lowered 40mm and I'm wondering if it'll do...

VWs don't seem to do very well in stock classes in general, so obtaining
a suspension setup and entering an SP class is more competitive.  As I
mentioned in a earlier post, I run Boge/H&R and they work fine for me
for now.

> The more I think of it,the more fun it sounds...

You won't be disappointed.  :-)  You also learn a LOT about your car and
car dynamics in general.  Once you experience how your car behaves when
pushed to it's limit, you can use it to your advantage...on the course
AND the street in emergency situations.

Have fun!

-Mike