RE: Prepping an 8v for AutoX

A head swap would be legal if both cars are listed on the same line of the
rules.  You can say update and back date at that point.  What ever your
little heart desires.  But you have to read the rules - period the end.
Each sanctioning body has its own rules so read them.

Like for me I used to run my Scirocco in a few local events, never
competitively because I did not build the car for the rules and was out
classed.  Now my 914 which was built for the rules to maximize the rules to
my advantage - very competitive.  Read the rules!!!!

Suspension wise go with what you can.  Konis are by far the way to go,
period.  Bilstiens are a nice street shock, and can be used as a road race
shock, but Konis are the best at auto-x, or any other adjustable unit that
fits your needs.  As a beginner you can get buy with less spring.

Here is how I would do it - if I was starting out again.  Set a car up for
stock class, or what ever class you want to run.  Maximize the car for that
CLASS.  Get in with the local hot shoes, now realize you don't have to think
like them or drive like them, but their insight will be invaluable.  Take
the first McCinny(sp?) school you can take.  Well worth the money, IMHO, and
let them teach you the proper way before habits are formed.  Then get out
there and run, also please volunteer to help with the setup and tear down of
the site.  Setup is great because you will have seen every corner and know
the thing before anybody else, tear down would just be courteous.  It takes
allot of work to run one of these events, and you will earn points buy
showing up an volunteering to do the littlest things.  Even if it is hold a
golf umbrella so I can setup the timing lights.  Or sweep the course for
debris - it will all help and be appreciated.

Stephen Jacobs