Re: Prepping an 8v for AutoX

Just my 10 cents worth.

Sorry Shawn I'd have to agree with Eric.

I was running the ST 25f and 28r setup on my 81 and did not like it due to
the massive understeer. I found that with no front and the ST 28r it was a
little tail happy, so I replaced the rear with the Autotech 25r and now the
car is very neutral. The problem is there are so many variables like
tire pressure, compound, size, type of shocks, lb. of springs, camber, toe,
pavement type, outside temp, driver skill level, driver style, etc. etc.
etc.

I just picked up a stock GTI 17mm front swaybar to try on the car just to
see what differences it makes to the current setup, maybe it might make
the car handle a little better.       "always experiment - never assume!"

There just cant be a hard cut rule to suspension setup. If there was one,
everyone would be using the exact same setup.

The best thing to do in my opinion is just keep trying different suggestions
from those on the track with similar cars that seem to be getting good
consistent times. Try different setups, changing one variable at a time,
and when you have the perfect setup keep looking for something a little
better                              - I M H O ! -

-Randy
Auto X beginner but learning fast.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - 2.0L 16V
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc