Re: Prepping an 8v for AutoX

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:03:32 -0800 "Randy B" <scirokn81@email.msn.com>
writes:

>Sorry Shawn I'd have to agree with Eric.

Awww, I thought you were smarter than that.  : )-

>I was running the ST 25f and 28r setup on my 81 and did not like it due
>the massive understeer. I found that with no front and the ST 28r it was
>little tail happy, so I replaced the rear with the Autotech 25r and now
the
>car is very neutral. The problem is there are so many variables like
>tire pressure, compound, size, type of shocks, lb. of springs, camber,
toe,
>pavement type, outside temp, driver skill level, driver style, etc.
>etc.
>etc.

True, there are alot of variables to consider but trust me when I tell
you that I could make your car neutral with the swaybars on the car. Its
just a matter of adjusting a few things to allow the pieces to work in
your behalf.
What kind of tire pressures did you use with those bars on the car?

>I just picked up a stock GTI 17mm front swaybar to try on the car just
>see what differences it makes to the current setup, maybe it might make
>the car handle a little better.       "always experiment - never
assume!"

Its worth a shot. Go for it, see what it does.

>There just cant be a hard cut rule to suspension setup. If there was
one,
>everyone would be using the exact same setup.

Well, sure, no 2 VW's will work exactly the same with the exact same
suspension parts and pieces on the car. There will be some anomoly
conflict but its not anything that cant be corrected. At the same time,
you wont find a FSP VW that is competative and NOT using a front
swayabar. Im sure you guys really dont want to agree with me but thats
OK. You will simply have to learn on your own. I mean, I use 2 rear
swaybars, how unique is that? :)

>The best thing to do in my opinion is just keep trying different
suggestions
>from those on the track with similar cars that seem to be getting good
>consistent times. Try different setups, changing one variable at a time,
>and when you have the perfect setup keep looking for something a little
>better                              - I M H O ! -

Its been a long hard road for my to find a suspension setup that works.
Now i just need to be able to afford putting the finishing touch on
buying the pieces. LOL!!
Soon.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and