Re: Prepping an 8v for AutoX

I would like to make a few suggestions on some of your parts choices.
First off, there is only name know for shocks in any application, esp.
Scirocco: BILSTEIN.  While you're swapping out those Boge's ditch the
HOR springs as well.  They aren't worth the scrap metal value you might
get for them.  Strong list consensus on that one.  H&R's or Neuspeed
Race Springs.  My friend does a lot of AutoX in his Rabbit with Neuspeed
Race/Bilstein  and runs circles around all the local Type "R" Integra's
and other Honda junk.   Of course  I'm assuming you want to win at some
point and aren't doing this "just" for fun.   Otherwise, I guess your
combo is okay.  You seem to be on the right track with the swaybars and
upper and lower Tie bars.  I like poly, personally because it gives more
precise control and better road feel but if it's a street driver as
well, it may be too harsh for you.

As for the engine upgrades, I would stay away from porting and polishing
or the cams because you'll get more bang-for-the-buck on really good
AutoX tires and the above-mentioned springs/struts.  Also, doing
internal engine mods like P&P or a cam will usually bump you up to a
class you don't want to be in (usually the street modified/unlimited
class which means the sky is the limit read: turbo's, big overbores, big
tires, custom coilover suspensions, etc.)  It would be a good idea to
get a SCCA  handbook or a local rules list to see what class you want to
run in and build your car to those specifications.  Otherwise, you'll be
out of your league and finishing last all the time kinda sucks after
awhile.  (don't ask how I know)
     Most classes above stock will allow you to run any exhaust so the
TT stuff is a great way to go.  Keep or get the 4-2 manifold, you will
only gain  a few if any HP with a header.  Besides, most headers are
cheap quality and they always leak sooner or later.  If you can sneak
the larger TB in as well, don't waste your money on a Neuspeed one.
Just take one off of any A2 Golf or Jetta, port-match the intake, and
swap throttle linkage.  As for the Velocity kit, I hear it's really only
effective on the street but maybe someone else can confirm or deny this.

	I'll get off my soapbox now so you can digest this and see if any of
this  applies to your plans.  Meanwhile, I'll be putting on my
flame-retardant suit.  The great thing about this list is there is no
shortage of opinions around here just be prepared to duck every now and
then!  Good luck!

Mike Hansen
83 Scirocco GT