Scirocco Wars Episode One: A New Hope

Hey kids.  Good news!!!!!!!
So, like, I was driving my '84 8v to work the other month, whoosh, big
puff of white smoke, rocco no more go go.  Lots o' liquid in the
oil....figgered blown head gasket, no REAL biggie.  Tried to crank it
after it sat all day, I got a clunk and nothing more, no crank, nada.
The lovely sound of the starter trying to crank a seized motor.  So, I
let it sit almost 2 months, planning on tearing it apart in the spring
and making it happy again.  So, I went to New York for New Years and got
engaged, and the 'lil woman is moving here with me (Northern Illinois)
in a couple weeks.  Money is needed for an apartment and stuff, so I
planned on selling my beloved rocco.  I figured I'd part it out, make at
least something back on it.  Today, for shits and giggles, I went to RJ
Brigham and Co., the local VW good guys.  Mr. Brigham informed me that
it most likely is a blown head gasket, but that it may not be seized (no
nasty machanical noises when it dies, just a whoosh).  Seems H20 is
rather non-compressable, and if one of the compustion chambers is full
of coolant, the engine WILL NOT crank, not even a lil, eensy teensy tiny
bit.  He suggested I pull the plugs, make sure no one is standing in
front of the car, crank it and see if my rocco becomes a lawn sprinkler.
If it does, there is hope.  I plan on putting a head gasket on and
selling my car.  I do want to keep it, but it's already cost me tons of
money, so I'll sell it, become rich and buy my 16v.  So, if all goes
well tomorrow I'll be finding out  I only have a semi-dead rocco.
Now, the big question. I looked at my Bentley about removing the head,
and it doesn't look TOO hard.  Anyone have any experience in the
matter?  Anyone willing to lend a fellow roccer a few words of advise?
Wish me luck!
Nate
'84 with a will to live after all!!