Fw: Handling -- a story

This does seem odd especially when everyone tells us to stiffen the rear up
tighter than the front.  Some autocrossers that I know don't do anything to
the front and make the rear rock solid.  You could always put the rear bar
on and then pull it if it doesn't improve things.  Have you had a 16v
Scirocco before?  I've noticed that after driving a Rabbit or Jetta for
years that once you get into a car that is setup for performance from the
factory, the handling blows you away and you think it cannot be improved on
when it actually can!!!  It is great that you got it to handle so well, but
if you do try the rear bar, you can always take it off and I am sure someone
here on the list will take it off your hands for you or maybe you can make
it fit an Accord or something for your wife!! (Hee Hee).  Just get her a
Jetta or Passat and she'll be happy!!!!  HTH

Dave

> I finally got to wring out my (wife's ;) Scirocco over the holiday weekend
> on a nice four-hour two-lane trip to my grandparent's farm.
>
> Yes this is the car I bought last September, shame on me for having a life
> besides this car. Nevermind the fact that I haven't started my scooter in
> over a year :(
>
> What I wanted most to share for commentary was a rather surprising
> observation, as follows:
>
> I have an all new suspension under this thing; Boge Progas struts, OEM
> springs and bearings, and urethane bushings. I also have a pair of huge
(25
> mm front, 28 mm rear) anti-roll bars BUT I have only gotten around to
> installing the front bar, the rear is still the stock (19 mm on a 16V?)
> piece.
>
> All my previous experience with Rabbits and Jettas (several of which were
> pretty thoroughly done), my experience with other brands and all the
> literature I have read (Raven, Schroeder, Hamilton, et al) suggest that
with
> my car set up as it is, it should push (understeer) worse than my old
Alfa -