{audio} powering deck

Hi all,

According to my mechanic, VW's shouldn't have the radio wired through the
ignition.  His reasoning was something about the ignition needing 12V and
that the radio would draw off that.  If something happened to the radio,
the entire car would die.  I talked to the place that installed my CD
player and they said that without wiring the unit into the ignition, I
would have to make certain the power on it was turned off every time I
shut off the car.  They also said that they've installed stereos in many
VW's and never had a problem.  The question is who's right (or is that
less wrong)?  Does anyone know how the factory radios are wired?
TIA.

-Timothy A. Reed, Esq.
t.a.reed.esq@juno.com
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the
Lord.
Romans 12:11