2.0L question............

Hey Listees.........

    I have a GX code 1.8 that I would like to build to be a high compression
2.0 8Ver.  From what information I can glean from Bentleys, the Gti head had
a 2mm larger intake valve, and the same bore.  I must assume that the higher
compression comes from a smaller dish in the pistons, right?  Also, I have to
guess that the only way to get increased dispalcement is through another
crank, right?  I know, I know.  I am a freak for wanting an 8V instead of a
16V.  Don't think I haven't thought about it.  I just like scaring V8s off
the line in this rusted, heavily bent piece of a VW............But back to
the point.  I am trying to build this as stock as possible, no over bores or
anything wacky.  I'm going for longevity.  I think that after this stage I
will seriously consider a turbo, after I figure out how to make the car
stick.  :-)

Anyways, your wisdom here is greatly appreciated.......

David

And no, you can't make me buy a scirocco.  No, you can't.  No