Yes, it was indeed the timing belt!

Yes, it is I,

    I just wanted to thank the half-dozen or so replies I got some time ago
on my drive-ability problem.  It was indeed the timing belt advanced one
tooth.  What a difference!  Man, also I didn't realize what a pain in the ass
the timing belt is!  That little son of a bitch is hard to line up.  I must
have tried more than ten times before I (accidentally) got it right!
Anyways, thanks to all for their insights............

David

The dude who is considering buying a scirocco.....no, wait.....I didn't type
that out loud, did I?  No, NO Scirocco!  NO!..........

And yes, I do know that I am weird.  Thanks!  :-)