Re: horrible vibration and noise (cont.)

I use the stud and nut that holds the old style tensioner pulley to the
head. Don't know what size it is, but it works...  I'm guessing 10mm or so
but that's just a guess (the nut uses a 15mm wrench.)

The tensioner stud (old style long one) works great as it is just the
right length, threaded on both ends, but shouldered in the middle so you
can snug it up with a pair of pliers without having to worry about
double-nutting it.

Of course, the crossbar I use is the upper generator mounting bracket from
a Massey 44 - if I ever get _THAT_ project back together I'm going to be
looking for something else to install driveshafts with... :)

You should be able to pick the stud up from your local wrecker gratis - or
from your backyard/garage/kitchen shelf/medecine cabinet if you're like
most of the people on this list...

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Ed. recently rolled over to 200,000km or ~120,000
miles)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 DNK006@aol.com wrote:

> bolt, a nut, and a 6" piece of aluminum chanel iron.  Note: it is metric, but
> the 3/8" threads enough to give you holding strength, DO NOT over torque, you
> screw up the threads forever!  Does anyone know the dia of the threaded holes
> in the diff?  if so I'd like to get a new bolt, as I will be doing this again
> (4th time, 3rd VW) in the spring.
>
> Ben
> 84 8v

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca