Re: horrible vibration and noise (cont.)

Transmision oil seals...  Oh I love this job, really. Reson being: it was a
chalenge which I conquered!  Yeah!!!  Try doing this one lying in mud, I did!
 The flange is pushed out by a big spring... it wobles a little, thats okay
(right?).  Do not attempt this job unless you have mechanical skills and
tools, and always: will power!  You need heavy-duty snap ring plyers, that
darned 8mm triple quare, tools to remove half-shaft, and a special tool to
compress the spring inwards so the snap ring can be removed/installed.  Also,
the seal can be hard to remove.  If you want to do this job yourself, be
ready for it!!! there is no other way than to get these tools.  BTW, I
manufactured a compression tool out of a long 3/8 inch course thread carrige
bolt, a nut, and a 6" piece of aluminum chanel iron.  Note: it is metric, but
the 3/8" threads enough to give you holding strength, DO NOT over torque, you
screw up the threads forever!  Does anyone know the dia of the threaded holes
in the diff?  if so I'd like to get a new bolt, as I will be doing this again
(4th time, 3rd VW) in the spring.

Ben
84 8v