cylinder heads

>Hmm. I thought that low-torque benefited more from a consistent
>forceful supply of air into the combustion chamber, where as the high
rpm
>ponies benefited more from the large fast easy breather type of
approach
>(i.e. ported/polished).

Yes, you've got it exactly right on both counts. Where you're off is
your assumption that you can't have a cylinder head give you more power
at both ends of the rpm band. Someone who doesn't know what they are
doing will usually just open up the ports which *will* kill your torque.
However, a skilled tech working with a flow bench will *reshape* the
contours of the ports which might or might not include actually
enlarging them.

Btw, you generally want to leave the intake manifold runners and the
intake portion of the head rough. Only the exhaust stuff should be
polished. Some turbulence is good for mixing purposes. Nah, mean?

Peace...
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut