Re: cam questions (long)

I can't offer a fair and objective comparison because i've never used the
Hor cam, but I can tell you about my experiences w/ the g-grind!

g-grind:
It's a VW factory grind so it get points there in my book. It's got a solid
idle even w/ my p&p head and intake, which is important because the CIS
injection gets pissed at you if the intake vacuum is screwy from a radical
cam. The air flow meter will flutter up and down at low rpm messing up fuel
delivery(and emissions...).
My engine w/ g-grind starts really pulling at 3500 rpm to about 5500, and
very smoothly. I can rev it to 7000 but its pointless going past 6200
usually.
BTW I passed CA dyno emissions w/ flying colors w/ this setup and a new
cat, so you dont have to worry about that either. all and all, no
complaints. which is rare! :)

however, I want to get that Hor cam and test it out. I could go for some
more top end, especially after driving my roommates VTEC integra.
The Hor's numbers aren't much more radical than the g-grind, so i'd assume
it's  about as well at low rpm, with a little more kick in the top end. But
that'll have to wait until more pressing concerns are addressed.
HTH

At 03:14 PM 2/3/00 -0800, you wrote:
> Ok, I am looking at the two cams offered in the autotech site, One is the
>G-grind I know you all are familiar with, and the other is the HOR tech
>sport cam. Now, the G-grind has a lift of 0.423" and duration of 283°
>(225° @ 0.05" check clearance) and is said to have gains in the 2k -
>6.5k rpm range, netting around 8-10hp.
>  286° duration (243° @ 0.05" check clearance) which claims to net
>a 13hp gain, with power increases in the 3k - 6.8k rpm range.
>when I make my choice, the cam is going into a stock 1.8 8v solid
>lifter(JH) head which will be ported and polished (including the intake
>man.) and equipped with high-rpm sport springs.
>  Also, will an extreme cam have problems with NOS? I know there are
>specified cams for superchargers that have less duration, but would
>something like this apply to NOS? I dont see how, but I thought I would
>ask. Any thoughts, Info, Facts, and opinions are greatly appreciated.  TIA.
>for the responses
>Nathan
>"so many questions in my head"

aventari