Re: cam questions (long)

Re: Thread from Scott to Nathan

>In fact, considering that the spread between gears is so
>great with your FF box, you might actually make the car slower with a
>hotter than stock cam. .

I may have found this out the hard way with my tt 1847 in my 81.
It has a pocket ported head, G-grind, and 9.7:1 compression.
My JH had the stock head, G-grind and stock 8.5:1 comp.
I was very disappointed with the performance of my new tt
motor when I had a chance to push it after break-in.
It was noticeably less powerful than the smaller JH motor
I just pulled out of my other 81. I pulled the header, exhaust,
re-curved dist, adj crank sprocket, TB, everything that was
on the JH except the tranny and put it on the tt motor. The
only major difference between the two cars was about 100lbs.
and the JH was running the 2H tranny, and my tt has the FF.
I almost pulled the tt motor to replace with a G-60 or something
when a friend showed me the err of my ways.
I am going to rebuild the 2H and might put in a quaiffe 8),
and it should run better, otherwise I will be looking for a
wrecked G-60 and another transplant.
Anyone want to buy an FF?

Thanks Scott for confirming the possible source of my
disappointment.

Hope this helps

Randy B.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - soon to be 2.0L 16V
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc