Re: cam questions (long)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2000 15:14:05 -0800 Nathan Malone <nmalone@sumagroup.com>
writes:

>My question is: The sport cam is obviously more of
>a top end cam, and with the ported head I realize
>I will be loosing a large amount of my low-end
>torque, but how much?

Hard to say with figures but the low end wont be what it used to be. Id
say the loss is minimal at best. Noticeable, but not that bad.

LEt me give you a heads up on the HOR cam's from Autotech (or as I like
to call them, "Autoshit".)
HOR cams are made from a soft material. They are well known (and ive
experienced this as well) to flatten out from 6 months to 2 years. I can
say for sure that at some point, the cam will go flat which will require
you to pull the cam.
If you decide to use the cam, keep the receipt in a very safe place so
when it does go flat, you can exchange it with the warranty. (Autoshit
keeps NO records of their sales and if you don t have a receipt, your
screwed. So much for computers...)

>I don't want to loose too
>much. I am trying to build a quarter mile eng.
>religiously 0-100mph (+ or -) I am all about time.
>So would I be better off getting the G-grind?

No, you would be better off getting the cam with as much lift as you can
get. (Within performance pentameters.)
Is this going to be a street driven car?
If so, then go with the sport cam. If not, go wilder and you should do
MUCH more to the motor to get decent 1/4 mile times. it wouldn't cost
much to swap out the pistons to 10-1 slugs. Run race gas and your set.
The head work your planning os a good thing but its not worth a crap
without compression. 8.5-1 isn't very desirable unless your gonna turbo
the car and I wouldn't recommend that without doing ALOT of research and
homework on the topic. Too many people slap on a turbo without knowing
what their doing and end up shit canning a motor. Id say if you want
serious 1/4 times, a turbo is the only way to get it.

>I have a FF tranny
>so I have a great first gear for the off line
>jump, thus I can live with a little loss in the
>low rpms, but not too much.

No, no, no, no. The FF is a wide ratio tranny. If your pumping out 300
hp, this would be a good gearing tranny. Since your likely to get less
than 140hp from your JH, you will benefit from a close ratio tranny. A 4K
tranny has really good gearing for your motor, a Diesel tranny with a
4.25 R&P is too tight for drag racing IMHO. It can be made to work for
you, custom gearing is always an option but......... $$$$$$.

Besides the poor gearing, the FF has a one wheel drive system. The close
ratio has a mini slip diff, not really doing anything for me with my roc
but its better than the FF.

>Also, will an extreme
>cam have problems with NOS? I know there are
>specified cams for superchargers that have less
>duration, but would something like this apply to
>NOS? I don t see how, but I thought I would ask.
>Any thoughts, Info, Facts, and opinions are
>greatly appreciated.

Your better off contacting the people at NOS and seeing what they say
about cam choices ect. They're pretty helpful at getting people in the
right direction.
HTH!!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and