Re: cam questions (long)

Nathan Malone wrote:

> My question is: The sport cam is obviously more of a top end cam, and
> with the ported head I realize I will be loosing a large amount of my
> low-end torque, but how much?

A properly ported head (i.e. done on a flow bench) should definitely
*increase* your low-end torque -not reduce it.

> I am trying to build a quarter mile eng. religiously 0-100mph (+ or -)
> I am all about time. So would I be better off getting the G-grind?
> Considering that it is a little more mild and I wouldn't loose as much
> low-end? I have a FF tranny so I have a great first gear for the off
> line jump, thus I can live with a little loss in the low rpms, but not
> too much.

Well, if you're really that serious about making a drag car then you've
GOT to lose that crapper transmission. Swapping out to a 2H (best) or a
4K will do a lot more than a simple cam change. I've got a 4K that I can
get to ya for $250 or so. I'm sure that you could find a good one at the
same price almost anywhere, too...

Seriously, you're not doing anything close to dragracing with a wide
ratio box.. In fact, considering that the spread between gears is so
great with your FF box, you might actually make the car slower with a
hotter than stock cam. Remember that a hot cam will make the engine
"peakier" in it's power delivery.

Also, your transmission and hot cam set up will have the worst effect on
a small displacement engine. You've got to have less than a 1.8l in
there, right? Swap it for a 2.0l or don't fool yourself into thinking
that you're making a 1/4 mile car. Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm not
being snotty; I'm just trying to save you some grief -and CASH!

>  Also, will an extreme cam have problems with NOS? I know there are
> specified cams for superchargers that have less duration, but would
> something like this apply to NOS? I dont see how, but I thought I
> would ask. Any thoughts, Info, Facts, and opinions are greatly
> appreciated.

The not so radical cams that you're considering should cause no
detriment to your experience with NOS. Actually, I don't think that
happy gas systems really care about cam timing. Regardless, I hope that
you're engine is built to take the stress. Something tells me that it
ain't!

Um... you *did* change your exhaust, right? None of this stuff is going
to help you if you haven't upgraded that first... (I'm cringing at the
potential horror story in the making here.) :^)
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!