Re: [8V,JH] mystery parts identification

Sounds like cruise control to me.  The mystery outfit attached to the
throttle would be the vaccuum sero, and the other outfit would be the
vacuum control unit?  Is your car equipped with cruise?

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Ed, no cruise)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Oliver Seiler wrote:

> I'm having some trouble figuring out a couple parts in my engine (1986 8V,
> JH engine).
>
> The first one is some sort of vacuum valve attached to my throttle valve.
> It sits right next to and parallel to the throttle cable. The rubber part
> facing towards the throttle body can be compressed. When I do so, I hear a
> whistling noise from the other mystery part...
>
> The other mystery part sits on the very far left (passenger side) of the
> engine bay. It is connected to the first mystery part via a vacuum tube
> that runs along the rain tray. It's a small black plastic "thing" with
> various vacuum hoses on it, as well as three wires (can't recall the
> colours right now). As I said above, it makes a whistling noise when I
> compress the first mystery part, which comes out of a small hole (that
> looks like it's supposed to be there, though I'm not sure if it's supposed
> to be uncovered or if I'm missing a vacuum hose there...
>
> Anybody know? I haven't found anything like this in Bentley...
>
> -Oliver
>
> Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
>     Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca