another SUV tirade...

Yeah, I know we have beat this topic into the ground previously, but I
really have to get this off my chest...

The past two weeks in the Washington, DC area have seen probably the
greatest concentration of snow in a short period of time that I can
remember in the 17 years I have lived here.  We had three substantial
storms (substancial by DC standards.  You guys up north can stop laughing
now...) not including a fourth that paralyzed the region with (and I'm
embarrased to say this) 0.4 inches of snow!  As luck would have it, both
of my VWs were off the road (Scirocco awaiting a new alternator harness
and Jetta needing new rear brakes).  To make due I was driving my dad's
Miata.  Now, despite being a low-slung, rear wheel drive sports car with
high performance anti-snow tires, I found that a good combination of a
light right foot, 120 lbs of ballast in the trunk and common sense was
all I needed.  The only time I had driving problems was getting out to
the main street after our large storm, but the snow was deep enough that
it would have bogged the Jetta down anyway.

But then I got on the road which was all but owned by SUVs.  They kept
tailgating me and cutting me off.  I guess they were irritated to see
little Miata plodding along (and quite nicely I must add) in "SUV only"
weather.  Maybe I was simply invalidating their need for these monsters.
In fact, the only time I was ever concerned while driving was when I had
to dodge a spinning SUV (I don't think I need to point out the irony
here!).

I guess this shows, as is so often the case, that it's the driver and not
the car that makes the difference...

I'll get off my soap box now.

Later,
B.