Re: (sort-of Non-Roc) (Tech) 4 wheel disc in early A1

In a message dated 12/10/00 10:42:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rabbit16v@prodigy.net writes:

I honestly have no idea how anyone can say that they can just throw in a
rear disc rearend and make it work without swapping the master, booster,
prop valves, switch, and modifying the stock lines.  I asked quite a few
people about this before I attempted it and nothing anyone said helped!!
You just gotta do it I guess.  Some said that the stock level sensor would
work for adjusting pressures from front to rear, or that I didn't need the
prop valves,

Those valves can be a stumbling block on the early cars, but on later cars
they only had the fixed proportioning valve on the fire wall. On one of my 84
GTI's, I used an entire Scirocco 16v rear beam. I just unbolted the stock
rear beam,a nd bolted in this one. The lines hooked right up. I don't think
the 22mm master is necessary, but it is always a good idea. It seems that
brake bias is definitely affected and usually the rears will lock up. I did
the entire swap at once, and with the 10.1's on the front, if evens out the
bias. So, all 4 lock up at the same time =)  I left the stock proportioning
valve as well, btw. Later,

or that I didn't need the bigger master, or that I HAD to have

the adjustable proportioning valves, WHAT  EVER!!.  Anyway, sometimes you
just have to do it yourself and learn yourself.  Sorry for rambling, but I
am fairly impressed with the outcome.  I am not positive on the reliability
of the 22mm master I put in since it is used, but I do have a new one in
case I feel it needs to be replaced.  My next hurdle is installing the
chipped motronic system into my car!!!

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)