(sort-of Non-Roc) (Tech) 4 wheel disc in early A1

Well, I finally did it!!  It was such a major pain only because of the way I
approached this swap.  I have had the master, booster, rear discs, prop.
vavles, front discs (10.1) and all 6 braided stainless steel brake lines
forever, just waiting for an excuse to put them in (my current brakes had
worked fine for 2 1/2 years).

So, for about 4 - 5 months now I have had to add some fluid every 2 to 3
weeks and I just suspected a wheel cylinder or something minor and didn't
sweat it because I had my other brake system to fall back on.  Well, about a
week ago, the pedal went clear to the floor and the fluid was still present
so I figure the master is bypassing so I replace it.  I didn't have time to
bleed the brakes at all 4 wheels so I just bled it at the master (you can
get away with that once in a while).  I drive it for 5 days and finally get
time to put it on the lift and bleed the brakes at the wheels.  So, I get
the car on the lift and decide to install my rear discs and the s/s lines.
I do that, bleed the brakes at all 4 wheels then take off and go home (25
miles).  Half way home my pedal goes to the floor, with basically nothing to
stop me (hadn't hooked up the parking brake yet).

I get it back to work the next day (saturday, usually a slow day) and find
out that I had one car to work on so I pull my car in and start swapping out
the booster and master.  I fab a couple lines for the rear discs for the
prop valves, and try bleeding everything again.  While bleeding, my helper
could barely pump fast enough to get enough pressure to bleed the system
because the pedal kept going to the floor!!  Finally (DUH) I suspect a
leak!!  I put the car all the way up and do a quick little inspection.  I
found a leak coming from the floor board (from inside the car).  I realize
the worst, it is 7:30 on a Saturday night and I know that no one who is open
will have the stuff to splice a piece into my brake line that runs through
the car to fix the leak (the left rear line was leaking on the driver's
floor board).   So I check our stock and found a spool of new brake line.
Since I have the bubble flare kit, I called the wife (a slight delay!!), and
replaced the line (basically from the master to the rear hose).  I also got
rid of the level sensor device for the rear brakes that was OE.  This
basically got rid of everything between the prop valves and the rear hoses.
So, basically a pure 88 16v Scirocco setup in a 77 Rabbit!!  I even made a
bracket to mount the switch on the pedal assy.  Wonderful braking system,
worth the work, but I really wasn't expecting to replace the extra brake
line.  Just glad I had the stuff to do it with!!!

I honestly have no idea how anyone can say that they can just throw in a
rear disc rearend and make it work without swapping the master, booster,
prop valves, switch, and modifying the stock lines.  I asked quite a few
people about this before I attempted it and nothing anyone said helped!!
You just gotta do it I guess.  Some said that the stock level sensor would
work for adjusting pressures from front to rear, or that I didn't need the
prop valves, or that I didn't need the bigger master, or that I HAD to have
the adjustable proportioning valves, WHAT  EVER!!.  Anyway, sometimes you
just have to do it yourself and learn yourself.  Sorry for rambling, but I
am fairly impressed with the outcome.  I am not positive on the reliability
of the 22mm master I put in since it is used, but I do have a new one in
case I feel it needs to be replaced.  My next hurdle is installing the
chipped motronic system into my car!!!

Dave
77 Rabbit 2.0L 16v
84 Scirocco