RE: [Non-Roc tech] Engine flush?

<snip Benton>
I've heard of using Dexron
II(?) or some sort of ATF to clean out the crankcase and oil passages.  True
or urban legend?
<end snip>

Take this with as many grains of salt as you wish, but I use a quart of ATF
in my Scout in replace of one quart of oil.  Many Binder drivers swear by
this practice for keeping oil passages clean due to ATF's detergents.  Now
there's a pretty big difference between the cast iron, low compression, push
rod V8 sitting under the hood of my '76 Scout than any engine in the 'Roc.
I've not done this in my 'Roc, but I don't think it will harm anything.  If
I were you, I'd drop the pan and clean it as well as anything else you have
access to down there, seal everything up, put in some fresh, cheap oil and a
new filter, run the car until it's good and hot (watching your oil
pressure), and then redo the oil and filter.  Perhaps a shorter interval
between oil changes will be in order in the beginning.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II