WOT: pulling service codes from a gmc (yuck!)

my brother has an 87 GMC S15 with a 2.8L.  i was wondering if anybody out
there knows if it is possible to get the check engine light to flash codes.
ya know, like you can with a chrysler by turing the key on and off 3 times.
if anybody knows this it would be greatly appreciated.  I know it's not
scirocco related, but i think i've seen more off topic things than this.

Rocco content:
    My 88 16v has been hard to shift into 1st and 2nd.  but only when it's
REALLY cold.  it's only got regular tranny fluid in it.  when it's warm
though, it shifts ok, but in 1st and 2nd, it feels like a "click-click"
when it goes into gear.  could it be that the shifter linkage is outa
adjustment?  or shoul i try some red-line in it?  i've been trying to post
pone spending the xtra $$ on the red line because my drive flange seals
leak.  ir could it possibly be bad synchros in the gears?

THANKS TO ALL!
~corey
88 16v 944 killer