Flex hoses SUCK!!!

Well, as I was awaiting my turn to get on the freeway, I noticed my car
running hotter than usual... so I get out and there's no water in it!
(Blown rad hose.)  I fix the hose with a flex hose (yes, I know, Mickey
Mouse but when you're stuck on the side of a freeway with no duct tape...)
and the thing is still le3aking albeit not as badly as before.  I managed to
limp it across the infamous Port Mann Bridge and get to a water hose.

My question is.... how does a cracked block behave?  I dont think I blew the
head gasket but I had no choice but to pour cold water into the somewhat
still hot engine. ( traffic cop was bugging me to get the HELL OFF THE
FREEWAY!!!)

Marie