Re: [8v,tech,horror] Brake Adventures! (long)

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 04:48:34AM -0400, UrGTI@aol.com wrote:

> For a broken bleeder I would not spend much time attempting to extract it
> since a new caliper is only like 40 bucks .

Arg. Tell me about it. My friend called me a few weeks ago 'cuz he broke
the bleed valve on the caliper for his '86 RX-7.  I told him that he
could try an EZ-out, but to be very careful because if he broke it, he was
fuXored. Of course, he was too lazy to remove the caliper from the car,
and snapped the EZ-out.. then comes whining to me.  Turns out that the
4-piston caliper was ridiculeously expensive, and he couldn't afford to
both buy it and pay that month's rent. It took about 5 hours of work for
us to fix it... we drilled a series of 1/16" holes around the broken
EZ-out, until we were able to remove it. I then enlarged the hole to use a
#3 EZ-out, but after giving it a careful try, I decided not to risk
breaking another one. Instead, we bought a bleeder repair kit from pep
boys for 3 bucks.. basically it is a 1/4" NPT pipe plug that has been
drilled, tapped, and seated for a standard bleeder valve. I drilled+tapped
the caliper for it... seems good as new now.

Sorry, just had to vent,

Dan

--
           The Creation of the Universe was made possible by
           a grant from Texas Instruments.

           -from "The Creation of the Universe" on PBS