Mk1: funky hall sender?

Hey folks,
I'm still trying to diagnose a cold-running problem
w/ my Mk1 ('81 1.7 Canadian version, no OXS)..When the
problem first reared its ugly head, the car wouldn't start at
all. No spark. As per bentley I narrowed it down to the hall sender as i
wasn't getting pulses from it during cranking. Decided
to replace plugs,wires,cap & rotor anyways as the
car needed it and magically the car started (I had dinked
around w/ the hall sender wires though but didn't replace it)
Car will start like crap (not all 4 cylinders firing) and miss all
over the place at first but then run beautifully when
fully warm (takes 10 minutes of crap running). Control Pressure
Regulator appears kosher (resistance and gets voltage), auxiliary air
regulator fine....Today, it wouldn't start again for a while.
IS it prolly the hall sender that's being erratic?? I have
a good used distributor on order anyways, but because the car ran
well when warm, I didn't think it was ignition distributor related. Any
ideas/experiences? Thanks, Kareem
'81 S
'88 16v