Re: Mk1: funky hall sender?

--- Kareem <6keb1@qlink.queensu.ca> wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I'm still trying to diagnose a cold-running problem
> w/ my Mk1 ('81 1.7 Canadian version, no OXS)..When
> the
> problem first reared its ugly head, the car wouldn't
> start at
> all. No spark. As per bentley I narrowed it down to
> the hall sender as i
> wasn't getting pulses from it during cranking.
> Decided
> to replace plugs,wires,cap & rotor anyways as the
> car needed it and magically the car started (I had
> dinked
> around w/ the hall sender wires though but didn't
> replace it)
> Car will start like crap (not all 4 cylinders
> firing) and miss all
> over the place at first but then run beautifully
> when
> fully warm (takes 10 minutes of crap running).
> Control Pressure
> Regulator appears kosher (resistance and gets
> voltage), auxiliary air
> regulator fine....Today, it wouldn't start again for
> a while.
> IS it prolly the hall sender that's being erratic??
> I have
> a good used distributor on order anyways, but
> because the car ran
> well when warm, I didn't think it was ignition
> distributor related. Any
> ideas/experiences? Thanks, Kareem
> '81 S
> '88 16v
I assume the '81 Canadian Sciroccos had electronic
ignition.

Have you considered the ignition module?

It could be bad . . . or . . .

Sometimes moisture will form on the connection between
the harness plug and the module. This is an
intermittant problem on Kristen's '78 (which I
retrofitted with electronic ignition) - I plan to fix
this (with a better seal) once I swap in the new motor
in the next month or so . . .

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)