Re: CIS Bad warm idle/Who built this car???

>From: DAN <sciroccodriver@yahoo.com>

>'79 MK1 1.6 CIS.  The car runs bad at idle when EITHER
>the car warms up OR when I allow the car to sit
>outside of the garage in the sun. If the car is cool
>it runs PERFECT. I pretty much know I need to test the
>thermotime switch & the differential pressure
>regulator.  Any other suggestions?

Didn't see any replies yet, so here goes....

The 79 should not be running an Oxy sensor, so the only cold running
adjustments are the cold start injector, and the _control_ pressure
regulator (I know that's what you _meant_ to say).

My guess is that the CPR is shot, and is permanently enriching everything.
If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge to check it, you could try to remove
it, simply plug both outlet/inlet on the fuel distributor. You'll get crappy
cold running, but once it's warmed up, lookout granny, 'cause bubba's got a
new toy.

I doubt it's the coldstart valve system, as if it malfunctions, then it will
usually just not squirt anything at all, which is exactly what it's supposed
to do when warm. Of course, if it was wired up to be constantly getting
+12V, or if it's leaky, then it could be your problem. Check that it does
NOT flow when the engine is warm.

But first check the resistance values for both the thermotime switch and the
CPR, as per Bentley.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0