Re: Scirocco mk1 engine transplant

>From: "Christopher Mende" <csmende@neubayern.net>

>I just bought a Scirocco mk1 as a project car.  I
>am trying to determine the best engine replacement for it. I saw a place on
>the web that sells an 8 valve 1.8 liter that has been bored out to 2
>liters. If I wanted to have this done myself, which block would work best

Spec-wise, with the pistons and rods removed and no accessories, all 1.8 are
the same. (I'm pretty sure all the way up to the digifarts). You can get any
one. The ones that are least likely to be abused would be a later jetta/golf
(low miles, family cars) or an A1 GLI (family car also, as opposed to a GTi
or Scirocco). But since you are rebuilding it, none of that should matter.

Do a cost estimate first. pistons get expensive, and having a block bored
out and honed, etc. is also not cheap. It might be less expensive to go with
an ABA bottom end (from an A3 8v) or a 3A bottom end (from 2.0l Audi 80's).
New bearings, a hone, and rings and you're ready to go.

Where would I then get
>pistons and rings?

Talk to potterman. He'll hook ya up.

HTH