more 16v q's

List,

Ok, i took my sparkplugs out of my 1.8L 16v GLI tonight to find 2 things
wrong:  1.  They were platnums, and 2. The were coated in a dry black
substance.  Didn't appear to be oil, but more like the car was running rich.

The car has a leak in the exaust in the flex section in the downpipe.  This
is before the o2 sensor, that i am assuming is working cause there is no
light on the dashboard.  Normally when it is running, it appears to be
burning oil cause it is smoking from both the flex section, and the tail
pipe at idle, and really bad when i rev it.  I unplugged the o2 sensor
tonight, and it seems to have stopped smoking at idle, but still barfs out
some when i punch it.  I was having a hard time seeing this cause it is dark
out now, but im pretty shure that is what is going on.  The funny thing is
when i unplugged both connections to the 02 sennsor and the dash light still
has not come on.

Maybee cause the exaust is leaking before the o2 sensor, it is tricking the
cpu to give out more gas than needed?  Has anyone ever experienced a problem
like this before?  It would be really cool to know that the rings are still
alive and kickin'! ;)  TIA!

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v
'88 Jetta GLI 16v (New winter car)