Re: [16V FUEL ENRICHMENT] The Verdict.

At 10:32 AM 8/12/00 , you wrote:

> > Methodology:  Start G-Tech, apply full throttle in 1st gear, and let up
> > when the rev limiter kicks in.  The car was driven on exactly the same
>
>Thats the thing, though - you have to drive differently with the fuel
>module, otherwise it will bog down below 3000 rpm when you give it full
>throttle and marr the results.

Yes, for acceleration results you would be right.  However, the G-Tech was
set to measure HP, i.e. peak acceleration.  The HP peak in our cars is over
5000rpm, the point at which the enrichment should begine anyway -- and the
HP peak is where tt, for example, claims a 12-hp improvement.  So yes,
you're right that at lower RPMs the car would be slower-- but the peak
would be higher and that would have shown up by the
G-Tech.

>Yes, it does make a difference. In a straight-line mash-the-throttle test,
>I'm confident the fuel module would loose. However if you baby it up to
>about 3000 - 3200 rpm then go open goose, you'll feel the module kick in.

That's it?  3200rpm?  Nah, the 16V doesn't need any extra fuel until 5000
at the earliest.

>Also, regardless of rpm there is a limit to how much time the module can
>enrichen. If its turned on at low rpms, by the time its at high enough
>rpms to have an effect the o2 sensor will have corrected for it and when
>you let off the gas the mixture will actually go lean because of the
>correct, not to mention the enrichment will be gone by the time the car
>gets up to speed.

Incorrect.  The feedback from the O2 sensor is ignored at full throttle, so
it would make no difference.  All engines are tuned to run slightly rich
under full throttle -- so if indeed the O2 sensor *was* working during full
throttle (which it's not), it would actually enrichen the lean mixture
condition that occurs.

Jason

>-Toby
>
>--