[16V FUEL ENRICHMENT] The Verdict.

Not to be outdone, Mr. Wizard (aka Ms. Jason) has performed a highly
controlled scientific experiment regarding the merits of a fuel enrichment
module.

The Victim:  A non-RPM sensing fuel enrichment module submitted for
independent testing by none other than Ben Harder.  The unit has not yet
been tested for its functionality (as someone has borrowed my Multimeter),
but it makes a cute clicking noise when full throttle is activated.  It
also causes horrible cold-starting problems on my car -- so a test of the
unit will follow.

The Tester:  My '87 16v.  According to Mr. DPR, my car is on the LEAN side
of normal, and power drops off precipitously after 6000rpm, as seen in my
dyno results (see my page), and felt by my ass. Therefore, this car is an
ideal candidate for testing the unit.

The Meter:  G-Tech unit, set to measure "HP".  I entered an arbitrary
weight (2600lb in this case), and did not switch the unit off or position
it between control & test runs.

Location:  5 runs were performed from exactly the same 5 spots on a road,
all in 1st gear within 10 minutes of each other.

Methodology:  Start G-Tech, apply full throttle in 1st gear, and let up
when the rev limiter kicks in.  The car was driven on exactly the same
3-mile route (starting from normal operating temperature) immediately
previous to the two tests, eliminating the effects of overheating of the
engine compartment and the intake of hot air.  Between Test and Control
groups, the engine was switched off for about one minute, following which
it was allowed to idle for one minute, and then driven 3 miles to eliminate
any after-start enrichment.

Results:  Both groups of 5 runs were averaged, yielding the following results:

CONTROL (without enrichment):	81.25 HP
TEST (with enrichment):		81.30 HP

Conclusion:  The 0.05 difference in HP readings is insignificant, and could
easily be due to the considerable deviation (about 10HP) from run to run.

However:  The 6000-rpm drop-off does seem to be considerably less with the
fuel enrichment device, however this is a seat-of-the-pants observation,
and not confirmed by Dyno.  Therefore, my conclusion is that while this
particular device does not increase peak HP output, it does help to boost
torque at very high rpms, which in practice will lead to slightly improved
acceleration and a raised top-speed.

This experiment will be repeated on a dyno as soon as possible, and I will
test the module for its function (and the exact enrichment values it adds)
as soon as I get my multimeter back -- hopefully Monday.

Enjoy,
Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro