From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Tollef
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 9:34 AM
To: Scirocco
Subject: Another new guy with a 16v...

Hey all..

well I had this 1983 pretty beater looking scirocco that I bought for a
grand. It needed some work so I had a bunch done to the engine, new plugs,
valve cover gasket, timing belt, water pump, etc. then it was great! Then
the clutch completely went out, so another $700 to have that fixed..Now it
runs great, but it's got a pinhole in the radiator hose and the patch I put
on it is wearing thin. So I finally said to hell with it; and bought a 87
16v. Wow! What an improvment. So now I am wondering what to do with my other
'rocco. It got some rust in the sparetire well and a bit of cosmetic rust
below the windows on the doors..And it needs new paint and has a dent behind
the driver side door. But other than all that it's pretty nice..interior is
good, I put on a newer dash with only a couple minor cracks..Leather seats
in pretty good shape. the engine only has 128,000 miles on it. So I don't
know if it's something anyone here is interested in either for parts or as a
daily driver, with a little paint and a new hose it would be a great car!
Now that I work full time and I got my new 16v to play with I don't have
time to fix it up. So make me an offer if you're interested in it. I'm in
the silicon valley area, FYI.

On another note with my 16v. Before purchasing it I took it to New
Dimensions and had them inspect it. The big thing they noticed was that it
needed a new head gasket. It was leaking a little bit of oil externally. So
I used this to knock $1000 off the price tag. Anyway, how long can I go
before I'm really in danger? I just don't have the cash or know how to
replace the head gasket right now, think it'll be okay to drive on for a few
months?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to learning  a great deal form this list!

-Tollef