RE: Another new guy with a 16v...

At 12:59 PM 8/11/00 , you wrote:
>On another note with my 16v. Before purchasing it I took it to New
>Dimensions and had them inspect it. The big thing they noticed was that it
>needed a new head gasket. It was leaking a little bit of oil externally. So
>I used this to knock $1000 off the price tag. Anyway, how long can I go
>before I'm really in danger? I just don't have the cash or know how to
>replace the head gasket right now, think it'll be okay to drive on for a few
>months?

If it's only leaking a little bit of oil, you're probably allright.  Mine
has been leaking a tiny bit of oil out of the head gasket at the back of
the engine since I got it (28,000 miles), and have had no problem.  It's
enough oil that it's stained the back of the block, but it never hits the
ground, smells, or anything.  If that's the case with you, ignore it and
enjoy your savings. :)

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro