Re: Design Flaw #46: Glove Box Lid Guide Piece

I had a similiar problem when I fix the broken plastic hinge. turned-out that I installed the springs in the wrong direction which causes the binding. take-out the Glove Box, re-position the springs and make sure that the notch that holds the springs still exist. if not, its either get rid of the springs which will give you a simple open-close assembly or just pick one up. $$$$$$though.

and yes, there should be a form of plastic that locks the springs in place.

Leo

  archive@porknet.fdns.net wrote:

Well besides the handful of things that are common failures with this car
(reverse light switch, fuel transfer pump, injector seals, motor mounts,
downpipe flex coupling, sunroof guides, self-machining syndrome, valve
cover gasket, windshield gasket, auto-adjust clutch cable, heater core,
distributor seal, drive flange seals, exhaust hangers, coolant overflow
sensor, shift bushings, inner sun visor clips, fuba amplifier, seatback
release cables, rear brake calipers, cv joint boots, strut bearings, hvac
controls, heater valve, etc etc etc), there is the issue of the glove box
lid guide piece.

I've tried many, many different kinds of glue. I've cleaned and prepped
both surfaces, I've used a penny as a shim between the broken off tab
thats supposed to retain the guide piece... I've tried a lot of things.
And I can't get the glovebox lid guide piece to preform as directed for
even a complete opening and closing cycle. If I remove the side vent and
look at the spring mechanism through the hole in the dash, I can see that
with the lid open the spring will hold it up without complaint, but when I
try and close the lid, the spring goes crazy like a WWF wrestler on
steroids and arm-wrestles the guide piece, twisting it sideways and
yanking at it until the glue finally breaks. I can't even lift the lid
back up to stop this process once its begun.

I've come to the conclusion that the fault that is causing the glue to
fail every time rests in the glovebox itself, not just the lid. I looked
closely and the piece that the other end of the loop spring fits into
seems to be broken. I don't know what it used to look like, but it sure
doesn't look factory to me. Its all cracked and crappy looking. If anyone
out there has a glovebox that isn't broken, please tell me what this is
supposed to look like. Is there a hole? A notch? A slit? Or a protruding
section that has a spot that looks like it was blown out with a shotgun?

If I ever see the day that my glovebox lid goes up and _stays_ up, and
goes down without a hammer, operating how it was supposed to ...
I will be a happy man.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Toby

--
'87 16v