Re: starter bushing

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:02:17 PDT "Braden Sayer" <sayerbj@hotmail.com>
> writes:
> ok, moving on now.  I got the 12point for the starter bolts,
What size was it?

I guess its '85 and up on the 12 pointed starter bolts...

> and I look in the bentley and recomends replacing the starter
> bushing when replacing the starter.
> But also mentions a special tool to remove it.
> Is this really necessary, or is there some other way of getting it off?
> want to swap this in and out in one shot, so I need to know this ahead
of
> taking  things apart. Thanks...
> >
> Brad

The nice way, is to tap the bushing and then thread a bolt through the
bushing,
as the bolt bottoms out it, will press the bushing out.

The way I do it... I use a large screwdriver, that almost fits the
bushing,
and then I hammer it into the bushing, and then I twist it out.

Either way you do it, stuff an oil soaked rag by the flywheel
opening, to catch any metal shavings.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, '86 GLi for parts