Re: starter bushing

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:02:17 PDT "Braden Sayer" <sayerbj@hotmail.com>
writes:
> ok, moving on now.  I got the 12point for the starter bolts,
What size was it?

I guess its '85 and up on the 12 pointed starter bolts...

> and I look in the bentley and recomends replacing the starter bushing
when
> replacing the starter.  But also mentions a special tool to remove it.
Is this
> really necessary, or is there some other way of getting it off?  I want
> swap this in and out in one shot, so I need to know this ahead of
taking
> things apart. Thanks...
>
> Brad

The nice way is to tap the bushing and the thread a bolt through it, as
it bottoms out it will press it out.

The way I do it... I use a large screwdriver that almost fits the bushing
and then I hammer it in, and twist out the bushing.

Either way you do it, stuff an oil soaked rag by the flywheel opening, to
catch any metal shavings.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, '86 GLi for parts