Re: Engine Probs, But Much Rejoicing...

Have you tested your coil?  Your problem does sound like an ignition
problem.  The knock sensor only retards the timing when it detects knocking.
  That could cause the fuel smell because you wouldn't be able to fully burn
the fuel.  But that still doesn't explain the tach acting up.  The tach
weirdness points to the coil or some connection between the two.  You could
try disconnecting the knock sensor and see if that changes the timing.
Actually, it would be good to see what the timing is when all this is going
on.  If your timing is way retarded, that could be a sign that the knock
sensor is causing the problem.  Try retorquing the knock sensor; if it's
overtorqued, it will retard timing sooner.  Still I think the coil is the
problem.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition