Re: Engine Probs, But Much Rejoicing...

>From: Ben Patterson <bpatterson@stanford.edu>

>	It's just the tach that seems to flip out, but at the same
>time it's unrelated to the engine issues. About 75% of the time, the
>engine will run like sh*t at start (no power, sounds like it's
>missing like a freak) and the exhaust smells like a motor boat, which makes
>me wonder if it's the knock sensor not engaging.

So you're saying the tach will read 6k but the motor is only idling still.
And that is seems like it's missing, and you smell raw fuel. It sounds like
your ignition is all whacked out. Just like Ian said, I'd check the grounds
for the ICU and the connection from the ICU to Terminal 1 of the coil. If
those are fine, I'd suspect the coil to be toast.

I seriously doubt that the Knock sensor control unit is the problem. Not
impossible, as the signal from the hall sender goes through the box before
it gets to the ICU, but I doubt it.

>I know the grounds are all good, and the wiring/contacts have been hit
> >with carb cleaner/dialectic grease a few times.

ALL of them?!? that's impressive. Double check specifically the
grounds/connections mentioned above.

>Nate Pierce says it might be the control
>pressure regulator - any thoughts?

CIS-E eliminated the Control Pressure Regulator. It does have a Differential
Pressure Regulator. It is elecrically controlled and if the connection is
whacked it will make the mixture go crazy, possibly affected by the leak by
the downpipe. (Wouldn't explain the tach through) Bentley outlines a
procedure for checking the signal coming to the DPR and that could shed some
light.

Before you spend any more money playing your "expensive guessing game" do
all the tests that Bentley talks about. I have a Bosch FI book that covers
CIS-E and is VERY detailed in troubleshooting. LMK if you want me to take a
closer look in it for your specific problem.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
For direct reply: jonas@metabolex.com