Re: [mk2] a/c questions

In a message dated 4/20/00 9:54:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
herephydeaux@juno.com writes:

<< I disagree (though many "noted scientists" who rely on government grants
 would offer the politically correct "depleting our precious ozone layer"
 propoganda.)
 What is Freon (R12)? Dichlorofluoromethane.  The R12 compound is
 significantly heavier than the air we breathe.  If it leaks out it goes
 down.  When a mechanic is checking for a freon leak he puts his sniffer
 under the area he is checking.  What about the constituents of R12?
 Carbon, Chlorine, Fluorine.  Carbon occurs in abundance in nature.  Most
 swimming pool owners throw chlorine in their pools all summer long,
 because it evaporates off.  Many communities are adding fluorine to their
 water supplies to help keep our teeth intact.  If R12 is really
 destroying the ozone then why are these things chemicals still used in
 abundance?  Hmmmm?  Follow the money trail.  Here is the basic story.
 DuPont invented and patened R12 right after WWII.  I don't know all the
 details about patents, but this one had a 50 year lifespan, so about 5
 years before their patent runs out guess who announces that R12 is
 depleting the ozone?  "Respected scientists" from DuPont, but fortunately
 they have the replacement with another 50 year patent.  Surprise!  But,
 hey, we all know that we can trust the government and big corporations,
 right? >>

Just one comment...About how all these chemicals are in abundance in our
world, just not in the form of R12...Well, its possible that those chemicals
are not hazardous in their lonesome, but when they form a chemical bond, it
is possible for them to be harmful...Look at many other chemical
compounds...Is quite common

Stephen Mull
'86 8v Rocco Black
Seattle, WA