Re: [mk2] a/c questions

> The older
> systems use R12 (Freon). You can not buy this in the
> stores anymore for it is bad for the ozone.

I disagree (though many "noted scientists" who rely on government grants
would offer the politically correct "depleting our precious ozone layer"
propoganda.)
What is Freon (R12)? Dichlorofluoromethane.  The R12 compound is
significantly heavier than the air we breathe.  If it leaks out it goes
down.  When a mechanic is checking for a freon leak he puts his sniffer
under the area he is checking.  What about the constituents of R12?
Carbon, Chlorine, Fluorine.  Carbon occurs in abundance in nature.  Most
swimming pool owners throw chlorine in their pools all summer long,
because it evaporates off.  Many communities are adding fluorine to their
water supplies to help keep our teeth intact.  If R12 is really
destroying the ozone then why are these things chemicals still used in
abundance?  Hmmmm?  Follow the money trail.  Here is the basic story.
DuPont invented and patened R12 right after WWII.  I don't know all the
details about patents, but this one had a 50 year lifespan, so about 5
years before their patent runs out guess who announces that R12 is
depleting the ozone?  "Respected scientists" from DuPont, but fortunately
they have the replacement with another 50 year patent.  Surprise!  But,
hey, we all know that we can trust the government and big corporations,
right?
<NOT>
-kevin in Texas