Re: [Scirocco] Wheel Question

I didnt even know you guys were talking about me. HEH!!

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:33:56 PDT "Ian Overholt" <ioverholt@hotmail.com>
writes:
>Even with the smaller wheels Shawn is running, look at the aspect ratio.

>It's a 45!  See, that's the best of both worlds, smaller wheel diameter
for
>less unsprung weight and low profile tire for minimal sidewall flex!
>The tradeoff (from a top speed point of view) is that the rolling
circumference
>is smaller.

Really more than anything, its the gearing that the 45 tire gives. If I
could get a 14" or 15" wheel with that size diameter tire to fit on the
rim, id use that ONLY so that I could use the 16V brakes.
For autoxing, you dont need tall gearing for anything and since the top
speed is typically @ 80mph (but for a slight second at that speed and
your on the brakes again.) and never out of 3rd gear. What the small tire
does so is gets the car moving to its top autox speed faster.

>That means that your speedo will be off (which Shawn is not
>concerned with) and your top speed will be lower since your gearing is
>effectivly reduced (which Shawn also does not care about).

Right, dont care and uh, dont care. Besides, if you have time to look at
the spedo while your autoxing, you aint driving hard enough. I dont have
time to look at anything when im driving. Im listening to the motor,
tires and doing alot of l00king, steering and footwork. No time to be
checking the time or changing radio stations.

> but for autocross, the lower gearing helps your acceleration,
>and that is what Shawn is concerned about.  The lower profile and wide
rim
>also give an edge in handling which is very important for autocross.

This is correct, sir.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and