Re: [Scirocco] Wheel Question

> Even with the smaller wheels Shawn is running, look at the aspect
ratio.
> It's a 45!

Obviously.  And that would make his O.D. on his 13s about an inch and a
half smaller than stock.  The only reason I brought up Shawn and his 13"
wheels was in response to your statement,

> ...I paid like $70 a piece for my 195/50-15 Potenza RE71s, and I bet
I'd
> out-handle anyone with 13s or 14s on their car...

You didn't exactly qualify your statement,... just stated that you could
out-handle anyone with 13s or 14s on their car.  I was merely suggeating
that Shawn might take that bet.  Simple as that.  (BTW, I agree that the
Potenza RE71s are great tires,... great wet performance, too)

> Bottom line is that different wheel sizes are better for different
kinds of
> racing.

Ok,... but I'm looking for street performance wheels.  The 15" alloy
wheels that I have checked out typically weigh 15 to 22 pounds a piece,
while the old plain vanilla Vdub steel wheels can't weigh more than 7 or
8 pounds. To my way of thinking, that doesn't make the alloys
"performance" wheels.  What I asked for was opinions from the other
listers about wheel sizes and weights. It doesn't look like too many were
concerned with weight when they selected their wheels,... only one person
quoted the weight of their wheels.  That's cool,... I think that the
Sciroccos on the list that I've seen have some bee-you-tee-ful wheels.
But looks alone are not what I am looking for,... for that matter, looks
are secondary as long as the wheels aren't hideous.  I'd settle for 10
pound steels in 15" if they exist.  I have requested info from Revolution
and Panasport regarding the weights of their 14 and 15 inch street
wheels.  What I have heard from som non-Scirocco friends (no, no, not
honda lovin rice boys,... a Mitsu Eclipse guy who wants desperately to go
rallying and a Toyota driver who grew up in Africa and did some rallying)
is that Revolutions and Panasports can be had in the 10-13 pound range,
are stronger and stiffer than the stock wheels (steel or alloy), and cost
a bunch.  That's the direction I'm leaning.  No more drinking binges for
me,... that money is going in my wheel fund.
-kevin in Texas