Re: [Scirocco] Wheel Question

Even with the smaller wheels Shawn is running, look at the aspect ratio.
It's a 45!  See, that's the best of both worlds, smaller wheel diameter for
less unsprung weight and low profile tire for minimal sidewall flex!  The
tradeoff (from a top speed point of view) is that the rolling circumference
is smaller.  That means that your speedo will be off (which Shawn is not
concerned with) and your top speed will be lower since your gearing is
effectivly reduced (which Shawn also does not care about).  This could be a
bad thing for road racing (depending on the course and how long the back
stretch is), but for autocross, the lower gearing helps your acceleration,
and that is what Shawn is concerned about.  The lower profile and wide rim
also give an edge in handling which is very important for autocross.

Bottom line is that different wheel sizes are better for different kinds of
racing.  Notice on F1 cars they don't run 13" wheels.  The have to clear the
massive brakes and they have to run high speed while using a low profile
tire to limit sidewall flex.  So they go with exotic materials to reduce the
weight of that huge wheel.  You have to figure out what you want your car to
do, and that will help you figure out what size wheels and tires you will
run.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition