Re: [Scirocco] Wheel Question

David,
Just to add my $.02.
I've spent (like most members of this list) way more $$ than my Mk1's are worth to make them go as fast as legally (and not so legally) possible. I have been very picky about the wheels/tires I put on them. I have found two sets of wheels that are very nice looking and very light.
I have a set of Revolution Racing 14X7 RFX racing wheels (don't know the weight but they are very light and strong). Go to http://www.ttrsracing.com/ for more info. These wheels are great for running my 195/55/14's. They provide a nice contact patch for track events and look aggressive on the car.
The other set of wheels I have are a 14X6 Riken model no longer made (10 spoke wagon wheel style like the Ronal R8's). These wheels are also very strong, look very nice and weigh 12.3lbs each. I will eventually put 195/55/14's on these as well for the street.
Look around for both new and used and you are bound to come across a set of wheels to your liking that are light. It took me years of collecting many different sets of used and new wheels before I found the sets I liked the best.
I am thinking of selling my 15X6.5 4X100 Corrado BBS Mesh wheels to pay for my new computer if anyone in the bay area is interested. They are in very nice shape but just a little too heavy (15lbs.) for my liking.

Good luck and don't settle, just keep looking and you can have both light and good looking.

PS I just saw the movie "Blue Streak" and one of the actors rolled a wheel (TSW) across the shop making a statement about how HEAVY they were, he he he, I've thought that all along about the TSW's. Way too heavy to go on my car! 8)   (look nice on Honda's though)

Randy B
81 Cosmos Scirocco S - future racing project
81 Mars Scirocco S - tt 1847cc 8V
87 gold Scirocco 16V - parts or project?

David Barwick wrote:
> Well when you put it so bluntly, it doesn't sound as cool.  Yes Randy B
> though, for
> some (me) "we be
> stylin'" is important, and big heavy-ass wheels do it for me.

Kevin Stoddard wrote:
I guess I could have been more diplomatic. <heh, heh, sorry> It just
seemed odd that the alloys are so much heavier than the cheezy steel
wheels.  I've got no problem with trading some performance for good
looks,... I mean, if I didn't care about looks I'd quit washing my car,
right?  My plans for my Scirocco are more performance related, primarily
because it's a little rough and I'm not up to the full resto at this
point.  Plus, I'm not likely to spend $1000 on tires and wheels for my
$250 car.  At least not yet.  Of course that could change as the disease
progresses.