RE: [Scirocco] Wheel Question

Steel is 3x as strong as aluminum, but it's also 3x as heavy.  This means
that an aluminum wheel that's heavier than a steel wheel should be stronger
than the steel wheel (assuming similar designs), but by going with steel
they could have gotten the same strength with less material (but not less
weight).  To answer your question more directly, the heavier aluminum rims
*should* be stronger than your steel rims, but depending on how efficiently
they were designed, they may not be.  They should slow you down a little,
though.

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating