Mk1 story (long)

Hi All!

There is a guy living in our house who have a mk1 for a long time. (I
remember he also had this when I was only dreaming of a Scirocco) We often
talk to each other, I used to help him in theoretical questions when he had
some problems with the car. He just told me last week he will sell the car,
because he have a company car and donát want to see the death of the
standing car. It's not moved this year (only once when we made some pics
with Dirk). He told me a very low price so I started to think about it. (it
was somewhat less than $400)
My wife Kriszti loves mk1's. I thought we don't need a 2nd car but why not?
She will drive it not too far. So we got the keys with some instructions.
Sunday I went to the car and filled a little bit of foel into the carb.
It started well. So I drove around and wanted to stop. The motor stopped. I
remembered I had to fill the tank up so I did it and to the carb again. It
was too much so it didn't start. I waited half an hour (and eat) later it
started at once. I went to the gas station and bought some fuel. The car
not started again. I asked somebody to help me, so we wired the batteries.
The motor rotated but not started. I cleaned (why not) the distributor cap
& the rotor and the car started at once.
We drove to my mother's (cc 30 miles) without stopping the motor. It felt
good (but weak). We stayed for a while at my parents. Suddely I noticed
that the front right wheel is flat. We tried a pump but I observed a hole
in the middle of the side. I started to change it. First of all I broke the
15 years old tool of my father while loosing the screws. Finally the screws
was loosen, so I started to lift it up. As far as it become harder I've
heard some cracks. Ops. It's the chassis. I moved the lifter some incher
farther but the same happened. Somehow I lifted it but not safely enough
'cause when the wheel was off the car felt down to the disc brake. (The
rust could not hold the car) I have never had this kind of problem before.
I borrowed an oil lifter from a neighbour and lifted it by the
transmission.  So we started to home and were happy because the car stopped
only one time on the road. It was in the next village and I only had to
clean the distributor cap & the rotor, then it started again.
   So we gave the car back to the owner, it was good for a weekend day but
not for a daily routine.

bye
macsek
-- -