[Scirocco] Wheel Question

I carried a standard 13" steel Vdub wheel into the local tire place to
get a cheap spare mounted.  While I was waiting my turn I checked out the
aluminum wheels.  Then I picked one up and I swear it weighed about
triple what the steel one weighed.  This was a TSW wheel.  So I picked up
an Enkei and it was noticeably heavier, too.  I've thrashed on my steel
wheels for years and never bent one, so I can't imagine that added
strength is the reason. So y'all 'splain it to me,... how does adding
unsprung weight improve the handling?  I must be missing something, huh?
Are there lighter ones that are nice and strong?  Anyone want to
recommend a nice, simple 7 or 9 spoker that I could get in a 15 X 6 that
doesn't weigh a ton?  (I've always preferred an odd number of spokes,
just looks better to me.)  I am the student,... teach me, oh VW masters.
(heh, heh)
-kevin in Texas