Re: Transmission question

>>My tranny is going out on my 86 8v Rocco and I was wondering if I
>>could put a 8v Golf Tranny on it.  Because the local junk yard has
>>one rocco with no engine or tranny but they have plenty of
>>Golfs/Jettas.  Are they the same thing or totally different.  I
>>need to get my car on the road by next weekend so I can go to a
>>small Vw club meeting.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

>It will bolt right in. You will however have to change the driveflanges.

I thought the Golfs got the 100mm drive flanges right around 86 or so...I
can't say for certain on that point though.
I know the 86 roc transaxle will have the 100mm flanges as that started
late 84ish for the 85 models...anyone say for sure on when the A2's got
them?

> And if the car in question is a 16V you will also have to replace
>your clutch disk with an 8V one.

You probably actually meant a 16v one here...? :-)

>The one most dissappointing thing is that your gear ratios will be
>taller and less performance minded. if you can get a tranny out of a
>Golf GTi. This will be the same as what you already have.

True that.  Try and hunt up a GLI/GTI if you can.  That's why I recommended
taking a look at the tranny chart on the emsport site.

>Chris DeLong

==Brett